Day 1: Transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park -Uganda
Early morning after breakfast our guide will pick you from the guesthouse/hotel in Kigali, transfer to Rwanda/Uganda border. After border immigration clearance, transfer to Bwindi impenetrable national park. Enjoy this scenic route, with impressive landscapes.
Please note the choice of lodging will be determined by location of Gorilla family available at time of booking!
Bwindi Gorilla impenetrable forest National Park is about 330sq kms, with spectacular scenery, impressive forest views. The whole geographical scenery is basically hilly and mountainous. At an elevation between 1160 to 2607m (3806 to 8553ft) rains can shower anytime in Bwindi forest, it is recommended that visitors pack rain wear, waterproof clothing and appropriate hiking shoes to wear on during gorilla tracking or forest walks. Daytime temperatures range from 23C/73F at times dropping to as low as 11C/52F
There are 15 gorilla families which have been habituated for gorilla viewing, all of which can be accessed from specific locations/sectors of the forest. Eight people are permitted to view a single family per day. To trek gorillas you need a gorilla permit/license. Gorilla licenses are booked by location not by the name of a gorilla family. There are 4 starting gates namely; in North at BUHOMA, in the East at RUHIJA and in the South at RUSHAGA & South West at NKURINGO.
Luxury: Ichumbi Gorilla Lodge ( B,L,D)
Budget: Trekkers Tervan Cottages/Rushaga Gorilla Camp (B,D)
Driving Time: +/- 5 hours,
Expected border crossing time: 1 hour
Day 2: Go Gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable forest & Lake Bunyonyi
Our guide will pick you up from your lodge, at 7.30am transfer to park gate (5-10 minutes) Pre-tracking orientation starts at 8:00AM. Trekking through the thick jungle, traversing canopies of thick undergrowth can be tough, wet, strenuous but not impossible – the tracking can last from as little as 45 minutes to as much as 10 hours.
The activity depends on location of gorillas the previous day. Visitors therefore are supposed to move along with packed/picnic lunch and water, and should be equipped with strong water-proof clothing and must be averagely healthy.
Please note that after Gorilla tracking, our guide will drive two hours to Lake Bunyonyi for chilling, relaxation and overnight.
Luxury : Birds Nest@Bunyonyi Resort (B,L,D)
Budget: Supreme Adventure Park. (B & D)
Optional activities at lake Bunyonyi
- Boat ride to punishment island – Look out for “akampene” – the punishment Island – where until 1940’s unmarried pregnant girls were dropped and left to die helplessly or starve to death, some drown trying to swim ashore; they were often saved my poor men who could not afford pride price. It was a taboo to pregnant before the recommended marriage age. costs $15 per person
- Boat ride to traditional healer’s village. Experience how traditional african medicine is integrated into modern medicine. The healer not only treats the sick, but uses his knowledge to conserve and educate about the various medicinal plants if time. costs $40 per person.
- Hiking to view islands of lake Bunyonyi ($10) per person
- Self canoeing, ($5) depends one skill
- Guided Canoeing, ($18) takes 1 hour,
- High ropes course and zip lining, ($30) per person, takes 1.5 to 2hrs
- Guided Bird watching, learn about common bird species of the lake. ($20 per person)
lake Bunyonyi is a known to be a place of so many little small birds. It’s possible to have an early morning guided bird watching.
Day 3: Transfer Back To Kigali
Our guide will transfer you back to Kigali Airport. Allow one hour for Uganda/Rwanda border immigration and customs crossing.
Meal plan: Breakfast only